Home Home Buyer Home Seller Per Diem Interest Credit report Search
Real Estate Tax first-time Programs Title Insurance Transfer Tax Calculators Interest Rates
FHA Loan VA Loan USDA Loan Conventional Loan Jumbo Loan Reverse Mortgage

PA Property Tax and Rent Rebate Program

Senior citizensThe Property Tax and Rent Rebate Program provides eligible Pennsylvanians with a property tax or rent subsidy up to $975. The income limit is $35,000 a year for homeowners and $15,000 annually for renters. Half of social security income is excluded in the income calculation for the Property Tax and Rent Rebate Program. The maximum standard rebate is $650, but additional rebates for eligible homeowners can increase the rebate to $975. The Property Tax & Rent Rebate Program is one of five programs supported by the Pennsylvania State Lottery and slots gaming.

Who can file for a Property Tax & Rent Rebate?


You or your spouse must have been at least 65 years old as of Dec. 31 of the claim year, or you were a widow or widower during all or part of the claim year and must have been 50 years or older as of Dec. 31, or, you were permanently disabled during all or part of the claim year, 18 years or older during the claim year and were unable to work because of a medically determined physical or mental disability. If you applied for Social Security Disability and were denied benefits, you are not eligible for a rebate as a disabled claimant.

Income Limits & Maximum Rebtate

Here is the chart for the property tax and or rent rebate based on annual income.

Homeowners   Renters
Income Maximum Rebate Income Maximum Rebate
$0 to $8,000 $650 $0 to $8,000 $650
$8,001 to $15,000 $500 $8,001 to $15,000 $500
$15,001 to $18,000 $300 N/A N/A
$18,001 to $35,000 $250 N/A N/A

* Half of Social Security income is excluded


Looking out through a windowYou must have owned and occupied a home or rented and occupied a home, apartment, nursing home, boarding home or similar residence in Pennsylvania during the period for which you claim the rebate. Homeowners must have paid property taxes prior to applying. Renters must verify their landlords were required to pay property taxes or made payments in lieu of property taxes on rental properties.

When is the deadline to apply?

Applications must be postmarked by June 30. The PA-1000 booklet is used to apply for rebates. The application forms are available in late February at www.revenue.state.pa.us or by calling 1-888-222-9190. Once you qualify for your first rebate, the department will automatically send you an application the next year. Rebate checks are mailed beginning July 1 each year.

Can I file for someone who recently died?

A decedent’s personal representative may file a claim for an eligible claimant who died after Dec. 31 of the claim year. If the claimant died within the claim year, no rebate is available for that year. If you are filing a claim for an eligible decedent, do not use the preprinted label that may have accompanied an application automatically mailed to the decedent. Depending on your relationship with the decedent, in addition to other required proof documents you may need to include the decedent’s death certificate, a short certificate or the Decree of Distribution.

How do I prove my age?

Person holding a stack of papersIt is Pennsylvania after all, just kidding, the state will accept copies of birth certificates; Blue Cross 65 Special Cards; church baptismal records; hospital birth records; driver’s licenses or PA Identification Cards; naturalization papers (if age is shown); military discharge papers (if age is shown); Medicare cards; PACE/PACENET cards; and passports. Do not submit original documents.

There are many reasons to purchase title insurance. Some of the reasons include fraud & forgery, conflicting wills, missing heirs. But there’s nothing like a real life story to illustrate the importance of title insurance.


What do I need to include with my form to claim a property tax rebate?
You are required to prove the property taxes were paid for the year claimed. If you cannot provide a receipted copy of your property tax bill, the department will accept a copy of the tax bill, along with a copy of both sides of the cancelled check used to pay your taxes.

If your name does not appear on the tax bills, proof of ownership must be submitted. Examples include a copy of the deed, trust, will or decree of distribution. If the address is not on the receipted bill or mortgage statement, you must also submit a letter from your tax collector or mortgage company verifying your home address.


What do I need to include with my form to claim a rent rebate?
If you are claiming a rent rebate, you must provide proof of the rent you paid. You will need a PA rent certificate for each place in which you resided during the claim year, signed by the landlord or the landlord’s authorized agent. If a landlord’s signature cannot be obtained, you must complete and submit a notarized Rental Occupancy Affidavit. If you are not able to provide a rent certificate or notarized statement, you may submit rent receipts. The landlord or his/her authorized agent must sign each rent receipt showing your name and rented address, the amount of the rent you paid and the time period for which the rent was paid. You must submit receipts for all months you claim. Do not submit rent receipts if submitting rent certificates or notarized statements.

How soon do I get my check?

Animate envelope with rushRefund payments are sent out each year on July 1. You may check on the status of your Property Tax/Rent Rebate Claim form online through the Revenue e-Services Center or by calling the automated number, 1-888-PA TAXES (728-2937).

Be prepared to provide your Social Security number, the claim year and your date of birth. Please wait 8-10 weeks from the date you mailed your claim to check its status. Here is the link where you can check on the status of your Property Tax/Rent Rebate: http://www.doreservices.state.pa.us/Individual/RebateDefault.htm

What's a reverse mortgage? Is it right for me?

Reverse mortgage loanDid you know that according to the Department of Housing and Development (HUD), there were 493,815 active reverse mortgages in 2010. Senior citizens across the country are receiving additional monthly income to help pay their bills. Learn more